Sports Security Business

Photo Albums

Videos

There are no videos added yet
Sports Security Business

Boston_marathonLondon Marathon organisers will review the security measures for the showpiece following the horrific events at the Boston Marathon.

At least three people were killed and more than 100 injured by the blasts near the finish line of Monday's US event, according to reports.

Sports Minister Hugh Robertson said he was "absolutely confident" the London Marathon could be kept safe.

The Met Police's Ch Supt Julia Pendry, the commander in charge of policing the London Marathon, said of Sunday's event: "A security plan is in place. We will be reviewing our security arrangements in partnership with London Marathon."

London had "enormous experience" of delivering major events and the UK had some of the best security professionals in the world, he told the BBC.

"This is one of those instances where the best way to show solidarity with Boston is to continue," he added.

London Marathon chief executive Nick Bitel said in a statement: "We are deeply saddened and shocked by the news from Boston.

"Our immediate thoughts are with the people there and their families. It is a very sad day for athletics and for our friends and colleagues in marathon running."

Mr Bitel later told the BBC that he "fully expected" the London Marathon, which first took place in 1981 and was completed by more than 37,000 people last year, to go ahead.

He said: "The London Marathon has detailed security plans which are developed in conjunction with the Metropolitan Police.

"They take account of many contingencies, including this type of threat and incident, but one can't be complacent and when it has happened, you need to then review those plans you have in place to see what else may be necessary.

"That is certainly what we are going to be doing in the forthcoming hours and days."


iSportconnect sub community for the business of sport security and major-event planning to share & learn from one another. We would also organise events for the members on a regular basis.

Sub community features include:

- News / Features / Case studies
- Community Discussions
- Bidding / Sponsorship / Consultancy / Investment / other opportunities
- Events
- Jobs
- Market Place Directory


Discussions

I think the event should go ahead, absolutely. It's a bit of a cliche but it shows that we can't let these people win and we get up and carry on. The Madrid Marathon has seen an increase in entries since the bombings which the head of the Madrid 2020 bid described as “the best tribute we can pay them (those affected in Boston).” I think that's great and the numbers show that people want to pay their respect to those who lost their lives or were seriously affected by the bombings. 7709 people will run in Madrid on Sunday and the increase has been four times as great as days before the bombings. Security will obviously be ramped up and rightly so and we just to have to hope we don't see events like this again
Last replied by Steve Moorhouse on Friday, 19 April 2013
I think netting would certainly help prevent fans from entering the playing area so this would improve safety to some extent. It would not, however, prevent fans from throwing objects at players and officials, which is still a problem. On a different note this would seem to be another issue for those who want seated areas in Premier League stadiums. It is much is easier to ensure security when everyone is allocated to a seat.
Last replied by Colin Robinson on Wednesday, 12 December 2012
superload.me filesmonster